Pages

Subscribe:

Labels

Latest Trends



Yes, he is not an outstanding face in the crowd and does not make heads turn when he enters a room. And yet Khawer Riaz has an enigmatic presence which has hoisted him on a pedestal much higher than an average man. An essential introvert by nature, KR speaks to HUMSAY and displays an uncharacteristic candidness regarding his person, his views and his inner thoughts……..
There are many who believe that if a doctor in physical distress, cannot take his own prescribed medication, his authenticity as a physician becomes questionable, and the same also applies to a beautician or stylist. “How can I trust a stylist or beautician who herself/himself does not seem stylish enough to impress people?” one is bound to ask. Quite true! And many of us may agree. But there are some stylists who defy this viewpoint. And Khawer Riaz is definitely one of those exceptions!
“My style is with my comfort. And I am comfortable only when I am plain and simple. Why, if given a choice, I’d opt for an even plainer style for myself!” avers the bespectacled and almost characteristically simply clad -- in a long cotton kurta and white straight pants or shalwar -- Khawer Riaz. But, he is also quick to acknowledge that it is his models -- both male and female -- through which he expresses his sense of styling and fashion.
“My models to me are my creations -- my children, an extension of myself; expressions of the myriad persons who reside inside me. With each new model I tread foot on yet another realm of me; discovering, realizing, finding yet another stratum of myself.”
Well, if you sense a bit of philosophy here, do not be surprised, for KR essentially, is a far deeper and more sensitive person than one would imagine. “Life is more of a puzzle to me and has always been so. It is a path of self exploration; bewildering yet enticing. And I am busy trying to piece it all together” he states.

But, he has always been crystal clear with regard to his inclinations since his school days. “I was never good at school; sciences bored me. I liked to read faces and study attitudes more. But that does not get you good grades, certainly!”
Rebellious by nature, KR realized very early in life that the regular, run-of-the-mill careers were not for him -- or may be he was not for them! And, against all odds -- standing up to all resistance and criticism -- he decided to follow his heart….and his dreams.
“My dreams have always been a source of tremendous strength, guidance and inspiration to me. In the beginning, when I was too young and immature to decipher them properly, I really felt like ‘Alice in Wonderland’. But then, with time it came to me; slowly but very, very clearly.”
And it was his dreams that made him opt for a camera rather than syllabi books. And gradually, taught by time and his own instincts, he slowly but surely reached that pedestal where his name ranks among the best stylists and photographers of present times. He stands out today as a bewitching image creator, a quintessentially unique make up artist (with regard to both bridal and model make up) and an equally celebrated photographer.

One major factor distinguishing Khawer Riaz from the long list of stylists in contemporary times is his exclusive imaging of male models. Prior to his work, male models were not known entity in Pakistan’s fashion scenario -- in which female models alone were deemed attractive enough to carry off a project. A name that owes its claim to fame strictly to this stylist is Ahmed Butt, the hunky actor-cum-model, for he owes his current macho image to Khawar Riaz’s ingenuity. Then, there is also the young tennis star, Aissam-ul-Haq, who was spotted by KR’s keen eye for styling. He lent the tennis player such a stylishly alluring aura that he could definitely think of modelling as a profession, once he is through with tennis!
But then, there is a school of thought which does not deem men’s grooming (read make-up, waxing, et al) masculine. KR responds passionately “Men are also humans, for God’s sake! They too, need to care for and look after the blessings God has bestowed on them.
If someone thinks being unkempt -- to the extent of being unclean and untidy -- makes them more of a man, well, then I am sorry, because this definitely, is not how I perceive things.
“I have been a great admirer of the ancient Greek culture where to adorn one’s self was deemed as much fit for a man as for a woman. Now, here I do not want to project that I am advocating a ‘Begum-Nawazish-Ali’ sort of make up for men --although I respect Ali Saleem’s prerogative to style as he pleases. It is basically a matter of hygiene, skin and hair care, and highlighting your good points to the maximum. If this is considered sissy by some, well, it’s their problem.”
Going a step forward in this regard, Riaz has set up a very contemporary and exclusive men’s salon catering to the minutest of details with regard to men’s grooming and styling.
So, what is the one factor in styling that bears Khawer Riaz’s characteristic signature? “I think I always look to make my models sensually alluring in their own distinctively personal styles. I strive to bring out that individual glow in a person that makes them unique. I am not one to try and make someone look like Madonna, or Aishwarya Rai or Elizabeth Taylor, or anyone else for that matter. To me, my work is to hunt down that distinct individual streak that is present in every person, and bring it out highlighted to the fullest.”
Elaborating further, Riaz reveals that imaging in his diction does not end with just making a face or body appealing enough to turn heads. “It’s a comprehensive process through and through. And although I cannot claim to be one hundred per cent successful in this regard, I do try to groom models in every respect of the word, i.e. from the way they dress up for different occasions; the way they talk; carry themselves; behave in different situations and circumstances; to what they eat; how they exercise; etc. But then, I can go only as far as a person is willing to learn; for I do not believe in dictating things. One should be sensible and mature enough to know who, why and what one is. It is an individual matter at the end of the day.”
It is with this idea in mind that Khawer Riaz has also established his own modelling training centre, a rare platform for budding models where they are taught different tricks of the trade.
To some, it may seem that the lean man with a keen angular face is always busy at work, but Khawer Riaz definitely has his own notions about relaxing. “It is quite true that my work in itself is a form of relaxation for me, but I do take some time out to chill with like-minded people; travel; and even cook at times, to relax.”
KR admits that although he would like to get settled on the home front one day, he has yet to come across a person who understands him truly, and loves him comprehensively, not for the famous name he is, but for his real persona.
The strangely philosophical man also reveals that one of his greatest inspirations comes from the writings of Ashfaq Ahmed, the great philosophical writer and thinker who has influenced many with his thought provoking philosophies. “I firmly believe that the one objective for which man was sent on earth was to spread happiness and be useful to his surroundings. And, that is why I believe in all religions -- for all of them teach goodness. Not one of them would ask you to cheat, steal or injure others. Life is to be lived usefully and happily. And that’s how, in my limited capacity and in my own way, I intend to live!”